I haven’t done one of these in a while so here we go.
1. I used to eat ice cream every single day. Back when I was 19ish, I started keeping gallon tubs of coffee ice cream in the freezer and I ate 4 scoops every night covered in sprinkles. This was going on when I met Joe and even though he thought it was ridiculous that I did this every single day, he obviously couldn’t resist so most nights he joined in. He definitely blamed me when he gained 20 pounds. I had the metabolism of a 12 year old at the time, so I did this for a few years with no consequences. Actually, the reason I stopped was because of running. When I started running, I didn’t feel so hot fueled by pizza and ice cream so I switched up the foods I was eating. I still love ice cream with sprinkles but I definitely don’t eat it every day.
2. I had the craziest roommate experience my freshman year of college. Not that any of them individually were crazy (though a lot of my friends at other schools had some CRAZY freshman roommates), but it was just ever evolving. I made a friend at orientation named Meghan and she made a request to live with my in the dorm I had chosen for freshman year so we would at least have one guaranteed friend in a 4 person suite. We were mailed the names/phone #s of the other 2 girls over the summer and talked to them a few times and they seemed great so we were excited. The two new girls lasted TWO DAYS on campus before they moved out and dropped out of school. I won’t pretend I know what was inside their heads but they didn’t even give college a chance and they maybe spoke 10 words to Meghan and I in those two days. So Megs and I had a 4 person room to ourselves until Christmas break. We got a call maybe 3 days before we were due for winter quarter that we had a new girl named Lindsay moving in. We cleaned up and all that and a girl knocked on our door and said she was our new roommate…named Maranda. Apparently, we were getting 2 new roomies and they only told us about one. There was lots more panicked clearing of closet space after that. So now we are a foursome again except Maranda drops out of school 5 weeks later. By this point, we clearly have a reputation as the room where people go to die, but really she left because she was obsessed with her abusive boyfriend and when we turned him in for hitting her, she didn’t want to live with us anymore. Not something we will apologize for. We finally got a 4th roommate that stuck at the beginning of spring quarter (hi Caryn!) and had one glorious 10 week term as a super tight foursome. We always felt that it turned out perfectly in the end and we all became incredibly close very quickly, but it was a CRAZY year of drama.
3. Not that you’d be able to tell because I’m all of 5’3, but I played basketball from the time I was around 6 all the way through high school on both school and travel teams. I can shoot 3’s all day but playing became a real problem when everyone else was nearly 6′ tall. Joe played for our high school and one of our early dates was going to the university gym and having a 3 pointer contest 🙂
4. When I bought my wedding dress, I didn’t exactly do things the traditional way. I took my fiance. I may be superstitious as hell when it comes to my sports teams but all that nonsense about not seeing the bride never bothered me. The people from Say Yes to the Dress would be so mad at me 😉 But it went perfectly and I wouldn’t have had it any other way, I was struggling between two dresses and he was the reason I got the dress I truly loved more instead of the one that I technically looked the best in. I went back later to show my mom and best friend, but I’m thrilled I did it with Joe first.
5. I know all the world capitals. Yep, alllll of them. This is shockingly useless but I live for the days when geography questions appear on Jeopardy. A few months ago World Capitals was the final jeopardy category and I internally wagered everything I’ve got. Usually, I just play around with geography games on Sporcle or that quiz app to try to find different ways to utilize this rather useless talent.
Any fun but useless talents?
How did you like your college roommates?
Give me a random fact about you!